- This event has passed.
Aboriginal Coaching Module
September 24, 2023 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
The professional development of Indigenous coaches through NCCP certification has been identified by the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC) as a national priority. In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Indigenous peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Indigenous coaches taking NCCP workshops. The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Indigenous cultures, values, and lifestyles.
The ACM is a professional development training tool for Indigenous and non-Indigenous coaches who coach Indigenous athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP. The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following objectives:
– Provide culturally relevant training workshops to Indigenous coaches and community sport leaders;
– Elevate the capacity of Indigenous and non-Indigenous coaches to coach Indigenous athletes;
– Improve the quality of the sport experience for Indigenous athletes;
– Improve the coach’s understanding of, and ability to apply, Indigenous culture to sport and to coaching techniques and tactics;
– Enable Indigenous communities greater accessibility to the NCCP;
– Increase the number of NCCP certified Indigenous coaches;
– Make the wisdom of Indigenous culture available to both Indigenous and mainstream sport.